It’s that time of year…pumpkin spice is everywhere! But, keep in mind…just because pumpkin is a vegetable, does not mean that product or food is necessarily healthy!
A grande pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks will net you:
380 calories, 14 grams fat and 52 grams of carbohydrate (50 grams of sugar!). NOT GOOD!
Here are some ways to lighten up your latte:
- Opt for skim milk instead of 2% or whole;
- Skip the whip;
- Get a short (or at least a tall) instead of grande.
With all those changes you are down to 130 calories and 0 grams of fat. (Still not something you should drink daily with all that sugar!)
Foods you can add pumpkin spice to for some added fall flavor!
- Sprinkle in;
- Muffins or cookies;
- Brummel and brown butter (mix with seasoning and add to toasted whole grain toast);
- Oatmeal with nuts and half apple;
- Butternut squash baked in oven;
- Greek yogurt;
- Into hot cider or hot chocolate!
Hungry yet? I am! Enjoy this fall season, just with a little less calories!
Kelly Devine Rickert, M.S. R.D.N. C.S.S.D. L.D.N.