SXU awarded U.S. Department of Education Grant

SSP GrantSaint Xavier University (SXU) was awarded a five-year grant from the U.S. Department of Education’s Student Support Services, a federal TRiO program, to benefit the University’s Student Success Program (SSP). The grant, which totals $292,338 per year, will enable SXU to continue providing support services to 200 students each year. The grant will pay for 92 percent of the program and SXU will cover the remaining 8 percent.

SXU’s program serves students who are first generation, low-income, or have disabilities, by supporting academic and personal development and encouraging completion of students’ baccalaureate degrees through counseling, advising and supplemental academic instruction. The program is one of 900 Student Support Services programs on college campuses across the nation.

“I am elated that this very important TRiO grant will be re-funded for another five years,” said Kristel Flynn, director of SXU’s Student Success Program. “The staff writers gathered together under a very tight deadline and showed an amazing amount of dedication to creating a high quality proposal for submission. To me, this shows a high level of concern and compassion for Saint Xavier’s population of first-generation, low-income students. We are excited to continue to serve our current SSP students, while welcoming first-year students into our program!”

SXU’s SSP provides a comprehensive array of services designed to promote the academic progress and degree completion of participants, including academic and personal development workshops; service and leadership opportunities; academic advising and monitoring, and peer mentoring. The program has been serving SXU students since 1993.

“Coming in as a first-generation college student, SSP was a great help to me during my four years at SXU,” said NaShawnda Foster ‘15, Bachelor of Business Administration in accounting.

SXU’s SSP has outlined three major project goals for the re-funding of this grant, which include 75% of all project participants served will persist from one academic year to the beginning of the next academic year; 80% of all enrolled participants will meet the performance level to stay in good academic standing at SXU; and lastly, 50% of new participants served each year will graduate from SXU within six years.

The SXU faculty and staff who worked to write the proposal for this grant include Kristel Flynn, director of Student Success Program; Carrie Schade, assistant vice president for Student Affairs; Colleen Sehy, executive director for the Office of Corporate, Government and Foundation Relations; Denise DuVernay, assistant director for the Office of Corporate, Government and Foundation Relations; John Pelrine, vice president for Student Affairs; and Jean Riordan, assistant vice president for Student Affairs and director of Career Services. Other contributors include: Maureen Wogan, associate provost for Retention, Records and Advising; Kathleen Carlson, executive director of Institutional Research and Planning; Sue Swisher, executive director of Financial Aid; and Jill Wisch, accounting manager at SXU.

For more information regarding student eligibility and how to participate in the program, please visit the SXU website.