Having difficulty with eyesight, body fat reduction, or cardiovascular health? Who knew watermelon can assist with all of these issues! Watermelon is not only an amazing and fun summer treat, it also beneficial in the following ways:
- Body Fat Reduction – Watermelons contain the amino acid citrulline which goes through a series of steps that results in our fat cells creating less fat than usual.
- Bone and Cardiovascular Health – Large amounts of watermelon has been linked to improved blood flow through relaxing blood pressure. Additionally, watermelon contains lycopene which promotes bone health, due to the lessening of oxidative stress, therefore improving bone strength. Watermelon also contains potassium which assists in calcium retention in ones bones.
- Antioxidant – Watermelon is rich in flavonoids, carotenoids, and triterpenoids. Lycopene is a carotenoid that reduces chances of inflammations by eliminating free radicals that can infect the body.
- Diuretic & Hydration – Watermelon is about 92% water content. Therefore it is a natural diuretic that increases urination without putting stress on the kidneys like alcohol or caffeine does.
- Improves Eye Health – Watermelon is a wonderful source of beta-carotene or vitamin A. Vitamin A assists in skin, teeth and eye health.
So make sure to indulge in this sweet treat as often as possible this summer!
- 3 cups watermelon
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup ice
- sugar, to taste (I use Stevia sweetener)