Here are some suggestions on how to navigate summer BBQ’s without adding on the pounds!
- If you know you are heading to a party, cut back a little on calories the couple meals before you go. For example, eat a salad instead of a sandwich for lunch.
- Add in some extra time in your workout if you know ahead of time you are heading to a party. Or if you overdid it at the party, tack on extra time in your workout the next day.
- Don’t go to a party hungry! Eat a small snack an hour or two before you head out so you don’t start picking at all the appetizers at the party.
- Scope out the buffet ahead of time to see what’s on the menu. Then pick and choose.
- Limit items with mayo (potato salad, coleslaw, pasta salad).
- Always choose salad, vegetables or fruit as one on your sides.
- Choose leaner meats such as grilled chicken. If you are serving hamburgers, make the patties out of 90-95% lean sirloin instead of the boxed burgers from the freezer section.
- Limit the chips and desserts. If you choose one just watch your portions.
- Don’t forget that high calories beverages (alcohol, soda, lemonade, etc) can add in a lot of extra calories.
- The main goal is to not overeat, watch your portions and don’t forget – Have a great time!
Have a safe and fun filled 4th of July holiday! God Bless America!
Wave Your Flag Cake
- 1 quart strawberries, divided
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 pkg. (8 serving size) JELL-O brand gelatin, any red flavor
- Ice cubes
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 (12 ounce) package pound cake, cut into 10 slices
- 1 1/3 cups blueberries, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) tub COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
1. Slice 1 cup of the strawberries; set aside. Halve remaining strawberries; set aside.
2. Stir boiling water into dry gelatin mix in large bowl for 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to cold water to measure 2 cups. Add to gelatin. Stir until ice is melted. Refrigerate 5 minutes or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites). Meanwhile, line bottom of 13 x 9-inch dish with cake slices. Add sliced strawberries and 1 cup of the blueberries to thickened gelatin; stir gently. Spoon over cake slices.
3. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm. Spread whipped topping over gelatin. Arrange strawberry halves on whipped topping for “stripes” of “flag.” Arrange remaining 1/3 cup blueberries on whipped topping for “stars.” Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2014 Allrecipes.com