Saint Xavier University invites students (undergraduate and graduate) to apply to be the student commencement speaker.
Graduating students interested in delivering the student commencement speech must meet these guidelines:
- Graduating in December 2013 and planning on attending the ceremony
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Good disciplinary standing
- Record of academic achievement, service and campus involvement
The speech should reflect how personal experiences at SXU (such as course work, co-curricular involvement, service, reflection on the Core Values, etc.) have influenced the speaker’s personal journey. The speech should appeal to a broad audience of graduates and guests as well as be engaging. An effective ceremonial presentation includes the use of poetic language as well as an inspirational theme. It should be three to five minutes in length, or approximately 750 to 850 words. A committee of faculty, staff and students will select the student speakers.
In order to apply, submit the following to email@example.com by noon on Monday, November 4:
- Letter of interest that includes contact information (phone and SXU email)
- Draft of speech
- Current resume that includes academic achievements, research, campus involvement and volunteerism
Note: Student speaker semifinalists will be required to present their speeches to the committee prior to the final selection. The Commencement Ceremony is on Saturday, December 14, 2013.
Questions about the student speaker selection process may be directed to the Office for Student Affairs, L-208, firstname.lastname@example.org or (773) 298-3123.