It’s finally chili and soup weather! Here’s a recipe to use when the temps outside start cooling off. Soup and chili recipes are great to make when you are home on a Sunday watching football or raking leaves. Make extras for some quick lunches and dinners when you are short on time! Stay tuned for some hearty soups recipes next week!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey (or lean sirloin)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned kidney beans – drained, rinsed, and mashed (or black beans work great too)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.
2. Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Add chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN, CPT
Illinois Dietetic Association Media Spokesperson
For a FREE online nutrition newsletter, sign up at website above and enter your email.