Since many fruits are in season why not use fruit as a way to spice up your favorite dessert or experiment with a new one? Try going to your local farmers market for fresh organic produce. Here are some recipes to sample at your next family dinner or BBQ!
- Add fresh berries* or bananas to a dish of low fat ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Top a slice of angel food cake with sliced strawberries and low fat Cool Whip
- Bake an apple in the oven sprinkled with oats, cinnamon and Splenda for a taste of apple pie
- Dip fresh strawberries in chocolate sauce
- Mix tropical fruits such as mango and pineapple and sprinkle with coconut and walnuts
- Stir chopped gingersnaps, sliced bananas and toasted pecans into softened vanilla frozen yogurt
- Slice a banana and drizzle melted chocolate chips on top and add a dollop of low fat whipped cream or softened frozen yogurt
- Drizzle lemon and orange juice over blackberries
- And let’s not forget our fruit pies (made with Splenda and graham cracker crusts!)
* A great app for fruit recipes is the CA strawberries app. It comes with a lot of heart healthy recipes!
For nutrition or exercise questions, contact
Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN, CPT
For a FREE online nutrition newsletter, sign up at website above and enter your email.