The documentary “Chicago’s Only Castle: The History of Givins’ Irish Castle and Its Keepers” will be shown on television station WYCC PBS Chicago at 4 p.m. on St. Patrick’s Day, Sun., March 17. On cable and satellite television this is TV Channel 20. For Comcast, High Definition (HD) is broadcast on Channel 240. For Dish Network, Standard Definition (SD) is broadcast on Channel 8501. On over-the-air broadcast, WYCC may be found on Channel 20.1 (HD) and 20.2 (SD). The film is highlighted on pages 11 and 12 in the WYCC Magazine. The WYCC website is www.wycc.org.
This feature-length film tells the exciting stories of the five keepers of the Castle, which was built by Robert C. Givins in 1886-87. Several Saint Xavier University employees were directly involved in this production. The film was produced by Errol Magidson, an adjunct professor in the Department of Psychology, and directed by Josh Van Tuyl, Associate Director of Media Services, and Errol Magidson. Prof. Ronald Mark, Department of Communication, did the voice-over for Robert C. Givins and Peter Kreten, Director of Student Media, assisted with audio.
The sagas of three dynamic families, one prestigious finishing school for girls, and a ground-breaking church unfold against the backdrop the Great Chicago Fire, the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition, the cable-car era, the dawn of the automobile, and the 1933 Century of Progress International Exposition. Footage includes two-thirds of the 1897 historic 12-second, first film ever made in Chicago (produced by the Thomas A. Edison Company) as well as film or images of early automobiles, two World’s Fairs, parts of Chicago over the past 125 years, and countless surprising items of interest to all who love history.
The main goals of this production have been to uncover and preserve the history of the iconic Castle, located at 10244 S. Longwood Drive, and its five keepers and to raise money to help preserve and maintain the building. This production received a grant from Chicago philanthropist Richard H. Driehaus. The film has been screened at the Beverly Arts Center, the Chicago History Museum, and the Sycamore Film Festival. The Chicago’s Only Castle website is http://www.chicagosonlycastle.org. It was designed by Chad Ramos, a graduate of Saint Xavier University.