With graduation approaching, Saint Xavier University invites students to apply to be the student commencement speaker.
The speech should reflect how personal experiences at SXU (such as course work, co-curricular involvement, service, reflection on the Core Values, etc.) have influenced the speaker’s personal journey. It should appeal to a broad audience of graduates and guests, and should be engaging. It should be three to five minutes in length, or approximately 750 to 850 words. A committee of faculty, staff and students will select the student speaker.
Graduating students interested in delivering the student commencement speech must meet these guidelines:
- Must be graduating in December 2012 and planning on attending the ceremony.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Good disciplinary standing.
- Record of academic achievement, service and campus involvement.
In order to apply, submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Fri., Nov. 16:
- Letter of interest that includes contact information (phone and SXU email).
- Draft of speech.
- Current resume that includes academic achievements, research, campus involvement and volunteerism.
Note: Student speaker semifinalists will be required to present their speeches to the committee prior to the final selection. One student speaker (undergraduate or graduate) will be selected to present his or her speech at the Commencement Ceremony at 10 a.m. on Sat., Dec. 15.
Questions about the student speaker selection process may be directed to the Office for Student Affairs, L208, or email@example.com or (773) 298-3123.