Cranberry Spinach Salad
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
- 1 pound spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir almonds in butter until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and let cool.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and vegetable oil. Toss with spinach just before serving.
3. In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the toasted almonds and cranberries
Kelly’s Healthy Apple Crisp!
Spray a glass baking dish with Pam and spread a couple of thinly sliced apples in it. Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar (Splenda Brown Sugar), and add a handful of oats and crushed walnuts over the apples.
Bake for about 30 minutes. Add a spoonful of light Cool Whip at the end. Yum!
Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RD, CSSD,LDN, CPT
Shannon Center Nutrition Consultant
For a FREE online nutrition newsletter, sign up at website above and enter your email.