If a situation arises where you need Saint Xavier University’s Department of Public Safety, or if you are unsure whether Public Safety should be alerted to a situation, call the SXU Emergency Line at (773) 298-3911. A trained Emergency Dispatcher will assist you.
In the event of an emergency that requires immediate assistance from the police, the fire department, or an ambulance, you should call 911 and then contact Public Safety at x3911. Examples of emergencies include:
- A fire, an explosion, or the smell of smoke/something burning.
- A crime, especially one in progress, or a suspicious person/activity.
- A car crash, especially if someone is injured.
- A medical emergency, such as someone who is unconscious, gasping for air or not breathing, experiencing an allergic reaction, having chest pain, having uncontrollable bleeding, or any other symptoms that require immediate medical attention.
Important: If you’re not sure whether the situation is a true emergency, officials recommend calling 911 and letting the call-taker determine whether you need emergency help.
When you call x3911 or 911, be prepared to answer the call-taker’s questions, which may include:
- The location of the emergency, including the street address or building (Warde Academic Center, Shannon Center, etc.).
- Your name and the phone number from which you are calling.
- The nature of the emergency.
- Details about the emergency, such as a physical description of a person who may have committed a crime, a description of any fire that may be burning, or a description of injuries or symptoms being experienced by a person having a medical emergency. This includes their gender, approximate age, whether they are conscious/bleeding, and their location.
Remember, the call-taker’s questions are important to get the right kind of help to you quickly.
Be prepared to follow any instructions the call-taker gives you. Many 911 centers can tell you exactly what to do to help in an emergency until help arrives, such as providing step-by-step instructions to aid someone who is choking or needs first aid or CPR.
Finally, do not hang up until the call-taker instructs you to.
For all non-emergency Public Safety requests, please call x4400 or x3541.
WHEN IN DOUBT, CALL x3911!