1) How many milligrams of sodium should an average healthy American ingests daily?
a) 0 mg
b) 1,000 mg
c) 2,300 mg
d) 4,600 mg
To meet this limit for sodium, choose fresh foods over canned or packaged foods. Limit the use of the salt shaker at the dinner table and bring your lunch and snacks to work.
2) How many milligrams of sodium does an average American actually ingest each day?
a) 2,300 mg
b) 3,000 mg
c) 4,600 mg
d) 7,800 mg
The average American consumes between 4,000 and 6,000 mg of sodium a day! This is due to American’s diets being high in processed foods such as fast foods, frozen meals, and snack foods.
3) True or false: Muscle weighs more than fat
False. One pound equals one pound! Muscle just takes up less room in the body leading to this common misconception!
4) Which group of foods is high in antioxidants?
a) bananas, oranges, and cauliflower
b) oranges, blueberries, and broccoli
c) tea, chocolate, and bananas
d) tomatoes, soy, and onions
Many of your citrus fruits, red and green vegetables, teas, dark chocolate and soy foods are all very high in disease fighting antioxidants. Antioxidants help to decrease inflammation in the body by fighting off free radicals in your system. Aim for 3-5 servings of fruits and vegetables. The best way to get a variety of antioxidants is to choose fruits and vegetables with a wide variety of colors: red peppers, blueberries, oranges, and broccoli.
5) Which foods are good sources of heart healthy fat?
a) Roasted peanuts, olive oil, and Smart Balance
b) Walnuts, butter, and Benecol margarine
c) Fish oil, almonds and flaxseed
d) Palm oil, fish oil, and cashews
Healthy fats have many uses in our bodies. One of them is to help us stay fuller longer after meals, and another important use is to protect our hearts from disease. You want to limit the bad fats like saturated and trans, and increase the amount of healthy fats found in oils, nuts, fish oils and flaxseed.
6) How many grams a fat should an average person consume each day?
a) 0-20 grams
b) 40-60 grams
c) 20-40 grams
d) 60-80 grams
Based on a 1,500 to 2,000 calorie diet, you should limit your fat intake per day to 40-60 grams. Most of the fat in your diet should come from the heart healthy unsaturated fats mentioned above. If your calorie needs are higher, however, this may increase.
7) True or False: Fruit is high in sugar and carbohydrates
True. Trick question. Yes, fruit is high in sugar, a natural sugar called fructose. Aim to have two to three servings per day and limit the amount of fruit juice you consume.
8) True or False: Post workout, it is best to eat or drink a carbohydrate and protein snack.
True. Current research suggests that a snack of 15 grams of carbohydrate and seven to 15 grams of protein within 45 minutes of a hard workout will help you recover faster and improve overall performance. The best snack is one cup of fruit blended with one scoop of whey protein powder.
9) True or False: Butter is better than margarine
False. Another trick question, the answer is false, neither is better. Use soft margarines made from healthy oils such as Brummel and Brown, Smart Balance, Benecol, and Take Control.
10) True or False: Eating two to three snacks per day is a part of a healthy diet
True. Healthy snacking keeps your metabolism revved up, your energy levels consistent and prevents you from overeating at your meals.
11) True or False: All carbohydrates turn into sugar in your body
True. Yes, all carbohydrates turn into sugar, but the rate at which your body processes them is different depending on the source of carbohydrate. Starches with more fiber (at least three grams per serving) turn into sugar much slower in your body. Aim for whole grain carbohydrates, fruit and vegetables. Limit the white processed carbs.
12) True or False: The higher your heart rate in a workout, the better.
False. It is better to mix up your heart rates in your workouts to burn both fat and carbohydrates.
13) Which snack is ideal after a workout?
c) protein shake made w milk
d) chocolate milk
Perfect ratio of carbs and protein!
14) True or False: The best diet has the least amount of carbohydrates.
False. Carbs are needed for energy and metabolism. A healthy mix between carbs and protein is recommended.
15) What is the fast food item with the least amount of calories?
a) Caesar salad
b) regular hamburger
c) grilled chicken salad
d) small fry
Watch the extra fats in items with full fat dressings. Look up calories BEFORE you eat out! (www.calorieking.com)
For nutrition or exercise questions, contact
Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RD, LDN, CPT