Here are some refreshing smoothie recipes you can take advantage of this summer. Now that more fruits are in season, try making smoothies a few times a week for your fruit servings. These recipes are quick to make, and you can even use them to make popsicles – just pour into Dixie cups and freeze!
Banana Berry Smoothie
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 medium-size ripe banana, peeled and sliced
3 Equal® packets
1/2 cup frozen unsweetened whole strawberries
1/4 cup frozen unsweetened red raspberries
1. Combine yogurt, banana, Equal®, and lemon juice in blender or food processor; cover. Blend until smooth.
2. Add half of frozen fruit. Blend until smooth. Repeat with remaining frozen fruit.
Makes one serving
Pineapple-Orange Oat Shake
2 quarts water
1 cup quick oats
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup orange juice
1 medium banana, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 cup ice cubes
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 wedges pineapple, for garnish
1. Boil 2 quarts of water in a large pot. Add oats and cook over medium-high heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain oatmeal through a fine mesh strainer and discard liquid.
2. Place oatmeal, pineapple juice, orange juice, banana, SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener and 1 cup of ice into a blender. Puree mixture until smooth consistency. Add water if mixture is too thick.
3. Pour into a chilled glass. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Garnish with pineapple wedge if desired.
Makes five 8-ounce servings.
Nutrition Info Per Serving (1/5 of recipe): Calories 170 | Calories from Fat 15 | Fat 1.5g (sat 0g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 15mg | Carbohydrates 37g | Fiber 3g | Sugars 23g | Protein 4gRecipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.
For nutrition or exercise questions, contact:
Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RD, CSSD LDN, CPT
Visit http://www.kellydevinenutrition.com for a free monthly newsletter!